Friday, January 7, 2011

2011 wow where did the time go?

The new year and well, what's new about it?  Once again I'm off to BETT to find out what the world of technology has to offer the education sector.  I'm looking forward to the trip as I am taking quite a large group of students this time. I just hope that they get something out of it.  I'm so enthusiastic that I worry their expectations will higher than the event can satisfy.  I don't know why that should be the case, as I can always find something new and inspiring! 

Oh and incidentally, about Christmas, what technology did santa bring you?  Well I had an Amazon Kindle!  Not that I had asked for one, but by wonderful chance some kind soul (paying attention to my needs) decided that it would be the prefect gift for me.  I have to admit that it is something that I have never considered.  My students provide me with enough on-line material to read so I had avoided even researching it.  What a surprise when I opened it though!  For a start it doesn't even look like a screen, which a guess is the main selling point, it looks like one of the sample phones on display in Car Phone Warehouse!  It is so simple and effective to use.  Downloading books & PDFs couldn't be easier.  This week I wrote my notes on games in education ready for my lecture, saved it as a PDF and sent it to my Kindle...and there in seconds it appeared.  So along with my favourite  authors, I can read my own ramblings freely without carrying heavy books and scraps of paper!  Where will it end?

I'm looking forward to this new module on Games in Education.  It is a revelation for me as I'm not a gamer, but I have been interested in the impact gaming can have on learning for some time now.  You never know I might become a convert! 

No comments: