Wednesday, January 15, 2014

eLearning...is what exactly?

The term eLearning is an interesting one.  For a start I couldn't even decide how to spell it as it changes depending on who and what you read. I went for eLearning, like the iPad iPod thing really.  Anyway back to the important stuff.  ELWa suggest eLearning is ' the use of electronic technology to support, enhance or deliver learning'. I would challenge that a little further though an insist that the enhancement needs to include, engagement too. So eLearning is the use of electronic technology to engage the learner and enhance the learning.

This Prezi is demonstrates some excellent issues involved with the whole eLearning process and highlights some of the important aspects that we as educators need to address.





4 comments:

Unknown said...

Mandy, thanks for the link to Prezi. I have had a look and it seems very interesting. Will have a play around when I get 5 mins !!!!!

Unknown said...

Hi Mandy,

Quite profound, watched the link and even though all LO lessons are set, as SLO's we bring personal experience to the classroom and when I share a real life experience linked to the subject I am delivering, there is something special that enters the room, pupils listen intently sometimes with disbelief, that is something ELearning cant capture, who ever you spell it lol...

Mandy said...

Yes the Prezi is great although there are a few spelling errors! But it really makes you think about your practice, and really in today's classrooms there is often a lot of eLearning going on. I think that we need to move away from the thoughts that eLearning is just online learning and consider the power of the 'E'.

Unknown said...

Teaching in the 21st Century. This video hits the nail on the head about engaging the students. Like my colleagues, I too speak about personal experiences. When we use e learning in work, there is generally an e-mail accompanied with it, telling us the deadline when it has to be done. Some of the learning is lost in translation so to speak, its all to easy to press the buttons and pay no attention to the content. Be it old fashioned, but I learn best by doing. Engagement with the students is what I love about my role as a school Officer, Teaching is an art form and in my humble opinion teachers will never be replaced by a computer screen. sorry!