Sunday, November 21, 2010

The power of the web

Today I was a marshal (the back runner in fact) in my running club's (Sospan Road Runners) annual MT10 in Pembrey Country Park, Llanelli. Running is what I do when ever I have spare time, it keeps my life on track and makes me feel alive. Today I was reminded of the fragility of life. I met a wonderful woman, mother and runner who I met last year at the same event. She ran today, as she did last year, in the name of her beautiful daughter Chloe, who died at the tender age of 14, in December 2007. Both her parents, Lesley and Paul, have set themselves a running challenge of 100 half marathons for Lesley and 100 Marathons for Paul. Along the way they intend to fundraise as much as they can. Here is were the power of the Web comes into play. They are using Web 2 technologies to help with the collection of their funds. I often hear of the negative aspects of the www, but this is one of the great ideas that have been born of the new generation of the web. A collaboration of fundraisers using the power of technology to take the pain out of collecting your sponsor money!

For the last few years instead of sending paper Christmas cards, I donate the money to a charity. So, if like me, you are looking for a charity to send your card money to you could try this one. And what's more you can then use the web to send e-cards, so it's a win win situation!
www.mycharitypage.com/paulandlesleybigmore

You can read the tragic story of Chloe's year long fight at www.chloebigmore.co.uk I could hardly see the screen by the time I had finished so be warned.


2 comments:

Sam Applen said...

Hi mandy it's sam one of your second year students for the foundation degree wondering if there is any way to stop people reading your blog?

Mandy said...

Hi Sam yes you can restrict it to only people that you invite. Click on Settings then Permissions.