Monday, October 20, 2008

On the right tracks

I attended an interesting conference today, organised by Wise Kids and WISP (Wales Internet Safety Partnership). I was inspired, entertained and reassured throughout. The two keynote speakers that made the biggest impression on me, were John Davitt and DK from MediaSnackers. John Davitt helped us to explore how we might break free from desks and screens and share the learning recipe in new and dramatic ways. We were engaged in an innovative workshop that got us out of our chairs, telling stories, generating and publishing a variety of creations in a number of formats – with various degrees of success. Each task was randomly generated by Davitt’s Learning Event Generators, our group had the joy of explaining ‘What Bannockburn means, as a blues song’, I only wish that I had access to the mp3 for my blog! DK on the other hand gave us a social media masterclass, here we had insights into why and how young people are using digital technologies and online platforms. One of the best things I took away from the whole conference is that I’m on the right tracks with my own teaching. They even used some of the same resources as I do! I just hope that I have some of the flair that they have and that I can captivate and educate an audience with the same zeal.

Media Snackers

No comments: